Thursday, June 2, 2011

Going back in time

So I had to sew a pair of my son's jeans today where he ripped out the seam and afterward, I was cleaning up and found my old quilt journal.  I took a couple photos from that journal to show some of the quilts I no longer have. I miss being able to quilt every day...
This is the first quilt I made.  The pattern is the 2004 Summer Mystery from the Beginners and Beyond quilt group on Yahoo groups.  I made A LOT of mistakes (just look closely at my "border/binding in one" lol) 


close up 

Yikes, I forgot how bad it really was LOL.


This next one was another Beginners and Beyond (BAB)quilt, the 2004 NYE Mystery quilt.  I decided to get brave and made a King size and named it Big Red, did all the piecing myself, and a wonderful friend, Jean Madan, graciously quilted it on her long arm and put the binding on for me.  I love it and still use it to this day, which you can tell if you look close enough you see where the seams are coming out...

 
close up


This quilt pattern was from an online quilt group and I can't remember which one (sorry) in 2004 or 2005.  It was VERY easy to make and the fabrics went so well together.  I do not know where this wall hanging ended up.  I called it... Rose's Rails


I so enjoyed making this next wall hanging.  It was my first time using paper piecing.  This was a quilt challenge done in the SFQ (Smoker Friendly Quilters) Yahoo group (which I seriously miss since I withdrew from it when I became too busy to quilt and now can't find it anymore).  I think I offered the wall hanging to the winner of the contest but I really can't remember since this was back in 2005.  This wallhanging was called Geese in the Iris Patch...wish the photo was better to show the bright lime green and purple with lime green polka dots (you can see my black and bold blocks behind it on the wall lol)

This quilt coming up was a group project.  The SFQ group got together and we made string blocks and then shipped them out and got back more from those in the group participating so that we had a wide array of fabrics.  I put the top together and shipped it off to Kim D. who quilted it for me, although I think she hated (not literally) me for a bit because of the flannel fabric for the backing, plus the thick foundation blocks, I wanted her to use and it kept breaking her needles lol.  She did an awesome job and I gave it to my son who still uses it to this day...

This final quilt is one I made from another mystery for my daughter.  We picked out the fabric together.  I called it Demented Starfish.  The red fabric has sparkles in it lol.  Although it is a twin size she likes it hanging on the wall so I could only get 1/2 of it in the picture.

And now...for my WIP's or UFO's...In the SFQ group, we did a lot of block swaps where we would make blocks and would then swap them out with each other.  I so enjoyed doing this. I just don't have the time now. :(

These are the black and bold blocks that I am still trying to figure out what kind of sashing to use.

These are my orange and black blocks, again trying to figure out sashing so I can make it twin-sized...If I remember correctly (and it has been a long time for this old brain lol) I think these were the birthday blocks we did.

And my purple and green blocks... 

The last project was an applique wall hanging that my mom made on her embroidery machine and I did the quilting and binding...Halloween style

front
and back

I really need to learn to do binding the right way.  It always looks great on the front but looks more like a 1/2" border on the back.  Anyone wanna teach me? *VBG*  I also really, really want to learn to hand quilt but trying to teach myself with tutorials online just doesn't work for me.  I need someone there to show me and tell me as I do it myself.

Well, that is all the photos I have for today.  I have many more WIPs but too tired to pull them out, take photos, upload them, and put them in here.  lol, I'll leave it for when I complete them. :)  Until next time...Happy quilting.
Kerensa

No comments:

Post a Comment